Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Archimedes Cordero: A Gentleman of Faith


Mr. Cordero in red; front row: Migo, Viel and Lourdes Cordero, Brian and Jason Quimio; back row: Bambi, Gemma and Joey Cordero, Erwin and Celeste Quimio


As scheduled each week, 85-year old Mr. Cordero makes his rounds at a Makati village, giving Holy Communion to the sick and elderly. It is also an opportunity for him to visit his friends who are now mostly confined to their homes.

On some days, Mr. Cordero participates in the community’s senior citizens’ activities. He enjoys socializing and continues to appreciate new learning experiences. He wanted to know, for instance, what a home for the aged looked like and joined a field trip just to see one. Mr. Cordero likewise attends bible study sessions regularly.

A deeply religious man, Mr. Cordero was a lay minister serving the church for decades.

But each day, each cherished day, Mr. Cordero looks after his beloved wife, Lourdes. She has Alzheimer’s disease. Mr. Cordero makes sure she eats well and drinks her medication; allows her to do the things she wants to. He talks to her all the time — whenever it is possible as she now sleeps for prolonged periods of time. Mr. Cordero himself has cancer.

I have been visiting Mr. Cordero. Let me share with you some nuggets of his wisdom:
“I have accepted that I am sick but this is just really part of growing old. Anyway, I am ready for anything.
“I worked very hard for my family.
“When I was working in my first job, the owners offered me a scholarship to Berkeley. I think they did that because they found me trustworthy.
“I did not know that I placed second in the engineering board exams until I saw my photo in the newspaper while I was walking on the street. I was on my way to work then. I was shouting ‘Ako ‘yan! Ako ‘yan!’ It was very embarrassing that I just grabbed a copy and then ran as I had forgotten to pay the vendor.
“I became a working student because our family was having financial difficulties at that time. It was after the war. I wanted to help my family by being independent.
I love going home to Alaminos, Laguna. My friends and relatives are there because I came from there.”

Mr. Cordero is much more than trustworthy. He is humble, simple, engaging, funny, hardworking (used to be) and intelligent. Now retired, he aims to pass on all the values he possibly can to his three children.

When Mr. Cordero became one of the top taxpayers in Alaminos, Laguna, everyone was so surprised. Well, at least initially. He does own a few parcels of land and derives some income from them but he is certainly not your average taipan. Eventually we realized that Mr. Cordero became a top taxpayer simply because he was simply an honest man. Now, about the other local businessmen in the area… (I leave this totally up to the readers.)

For years, Mr. Cordero worked as a college professor and saved part of his salary to put up a gas station in Manila aptly called Eureka. Archimedes, Eureka. I found it! For decades, his business’ mission was solely to provide excellent customer service. Mr. Cordero himself helped repair vehicles when the need arose.

Mr. Cordero has truly led an exemplary life as a father, husband, Filipino citizen and a man of true Catholic faith. And I have admired the values he has stood for ever since I was in grade school.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Angie for posting this article about Mr. Archimedes Cordero. He is truly heroic in all aspects (to God, his family and countrymen). He lived a simple and humble life always of service to others. Even at young age, he showed love and dedication to his family already and inspite of all his struggles and hardships in life he worked hard to give them comfort and happiness. He reached to other people through God's ways. He is a man of true words, good deeds and moral values. He maybe an ordinary man but a hero to all.
    Don't look far, look beside you..for you may have your own heroes too !!..OUR PARENTS who have dedicated their life just like him and without them we will not be where we are now..Show them the love snd appreciation they deserve before it's too late when they don't see and hear our I LOVE YOU'S....

    Jennifer Sison
    Laguna Niguel, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you very much for your comments, ms. sison!

    yes, we don't have to look very far as our parents, siblings, uncles and aunts may just be the extraordinary sources of our inspiration.

    to them, i say "i love you."

    ReplyDelete