Monday, August 10, 2009

What It Takes To Be A Mom or Dad

Someone gave me a photocopy of this list. I am sharing this with all of you as even those without children will appreciate this.

Please feel free to copy and forward it to your friends and relatives.

If anyone knows the original source, just let me know so we can properly acknowledge the author.


What It Takes To Be A Mom or Dad


1. Read to your children.

2. Keep your promises.

3. Go for walks together.

4. Let your children help with household projects.

5. Spend time one-on-one with each child.

6. Tell your children about your own childhood.

7. Go to the zoo, museums, and ball games as a family.

8. Set a good example.

9. Use good manners.

10. Help your children with their homework.

11. Show your children lots of warmth and affection.

12. Set clear, consistent limits.

13. Consider how your decisions will affect your children.

14. Listen to your children.

15. Know your children's friends.

16. Take your children to work.

17.Open a savings account for college education.

18. Resolve conflicts quickly.

19. Take your children to your place of worship.

20. Make a kite together.

21. Fly a kite together.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angie,
    I’m glad you’re writing again…“Legacies of goodwill” is a fantastic idea! Who or what,may I ask, is the inspiration behind? I hope sometime in the future I will have my own legacy of goodwill to leave behind to others…Meanwhile, I’m sharing with you a poem I’ve stumbled on my many ventures in the web as I thought it a fitting response to your “what it takes to be a mom or dad”.

    If I Had my Child To Raise
    Over Again

    IF I had my child to raise all over again,
    I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
    I'd finger paint more, and point the finger less.
    I would do less correcting and more connecting.
    I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
    I would care to know less and know to care more.
    I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
    I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
    I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars,
    I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
    I'd see the oak tree in the acorn more often,
    I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.
    I'd model less about the love of power,
    And more about the power of love.
    --Diane Loomans

    Keep the words coming my dear…Take care and would love to hear from you again!!!
    XOX
    Jane(yjsa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, jane. that was really touching.i will copy it then post it as an entry soon. the poem must certainly be shared with others. thank you so much. warmest regards.

    ReplyDelete